Thursday, April 5, 2018

I’m home

I’m home.  Little things remind me of Africa.  Little things like boiling the kettle to make my coffee of a morning.  Making homemade bread for dinner last night and slathering it with butter - or, having a little bread with my butter, you know how it is.  Because I can.  Because, who’s counting?  I don’t have one slab of butter to last months, I can eat it all today if I want to.  And my kettle takes mere moments to boil...


Selfie time at school - the kids loved this: this is Manu in purple, and I think Darren to his right, pointing

Little things remind me... little things like taking a shower.  Little things like spending All Of The Time on my phone watching YouTube and browsing, caring not how much internet I use.  


Kingsley builds a contraption

Little things like chopping up my vegetables to make dinner last night, using about three different knives, just to find one I particularly liked for each veggie.  I clearly didnt have only one tiny paring knife to use for everything. 


Bible story time (L-R) Sanchez, Seth, Manu, ?, Faustine

Things like waking up in the morning and spending half an hour just deciding whether to get up, spending the day browsing around and the evening watching something on TV.  That’s not a little thing.  The amount of free time I had yesterday I barely knew what to do with myself: no little children’s fingers entwined with mine, no shouting of “Teacher! Teacher Kate!” No school prep of an evening.  I have to say I think I miss it. 


Women carry water from the spring, to boil over wood or charcoal fires - there are no ovens

Little things like walking around town holding my wallet and iPhone in my hands as I shop.  Ha!


Banana seller at the market - 4 bananas for 20KSH (0.20USD)

I already feel so many worlds apart from Ireland, and from Kenya.  All that said, I did feel like I was truly coming home, this time.  


Angeal, Faith, Bravine and Celin discuss with Teaxher Sarah.

I treated myself to some new stationery yesterday.  There’s something about having a new notepad and a new pen - despite the 547ish pens I already have.  But then I look around just Officeworks, or I look around Woollies, and I wonder why do we need so much stuff?!  So much consumerism!  The wanting!  I mean, I have several pairs of shoes, but I was walking along yesterday thinking “oo those are nice” and I had to stop myself.  Really?  Really?  After Africa?


Kisumu food market, beans are a staple.  Beans of all sorts.

I was thinking as I walked through Westfield, if only I could show this to them.  I’m not sure why, because what would be the point - but also maybe to share it.  Maybe to take some of this and put it there, to share all the extra, All The Things that we don’t need.  All the things that are Extra and people Waste, and they don’t think of the people who Don’t Have.  


African shops (I think in Chavakali or M’dete, I’m not 100% sure) 


Shops painted the green of Safaricom... because without the ad, there would be no paint.

Let me put something to you.  What if you didn’t buy that one extra thing.  What if you didn’t buy that one coffee in the shopping centre, and instead drank it at home.  What if you said no to that piece of clothing when you already have a full wardrobe.  Would you?  Think about it... and if you do... think about what you could do with that money.  That $5.  That could change someone’s life.


1 comment:

  1. I could say no to coffee and to that piece of clothing. Easily. But some other things like hot water on tap, a sit down loo, cornflakes with milk one can trust, cheese, the important things in life...

    ReplyDelete