Thursday, January 22, 2015

Not Running, and Mango Trees

I got up this morning at 0600 to go for a run.  I'm trying to do this every other day, and it still takes a lot of effort to get out of bed knowing what I'm about to subject my body to...

I got dressed, fixed up my heart rate monitor and put on my GPS watch... grabbed my shoes from by the front door and... then I noticed.

The rain.

Well let's call it a waterfall.

And it's at this point that I mention that Kurt has suggested many many times that I check the weather before getting ready to do things - and I usually don't, because come on, it's Brisbane, so it's sunny, and hot, ALL the time.

It's not today.

In fact, it's very wet across most of Eastern Queensland, it's even on the news for the Wet in the likes of Rockhampton.

My mango trees still don't get any water unless I actually water them though, which is usually once very 1 - 2 weeks.

Here they are, in all their glory:


The tallest (the one closest) reached it's two feet mark a couple of weeks ago and I duly lopped its head off.  The purpose of this is to stop the mango tree from growing straight up and force it to grow side shoots.  This is to make the tree bushier and the more limbs a tree has, the more fruit it has, and the easier it is to reach, etc. etc.  This pruning has been very successful, there are about 5 or 6 shoots so far.  Once these are established, they will be reduced to four, which is apparently a good number.


Here is its neighbouring tree's single main shoot.  The other two trees have shot up amazingly in the last two weeks.  When I pruned Tree Number 1, they were lagging behind by at least half a foot and now only by a couple of inches - it will be their turn for the scissors soon!







2 comments:

  1. But surely brissy rain is warm and running in warm rain is bliss - or perhaps not so warm at 6am? Enjoyed your posts anyway, looking frwd to mango chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brisbane rain is indeed warm - but my nice running shoes would get wet - and some of us don't run barefoot! Also, what are the chances of my falling over AGAIN?

    ReplyDelete