Saturday, March 26, 2016

Coast Day

What better day to spend a Saturday than climbing up a mountain and swimming in the sea?  

Mind you, some of the company was a little eccentric.  I'm not sure I quite identified with the constant need of one of the girls to a) take photos of everything and anything to the detriment of anything we actually wanted to experience b) shriek out discordant lyrics to whatever Christian music she had on her iPad while flailing her way down the mountain or c) loudly proclaim her prayers wherever we went such as 'Lord Jesus we pray that you would find us a parking (sic) right here Lord God because I want to go on those rocks to take photos because I've never been on rocks like that God we claim these parkings (sic) and God please make someone leave right now!'  As we genTry pointed out to her, if we park down the other end we can walk back up to the rocks!

The other two girls were a little more normal.  If of course, 'normal' can be defined.  Mind you, I'm not saying the eccentric one wasn't OK, I'm just saying it started to grate on me after awhile.  'OOOOh I've never been here before, Quick take a photo of me in a "worship" pose' gets a little tiresome after the twentieth shot.

The hike up Mt Coolum was pleasant, M and I climbed on ahead while A stayed back with N.  There were therefore frequent water stops as M was carrying N's backpack and N needed water a lot.  The backpack was back-breakingly heavy with water & ice blocks as apparently 'I just can't drink anything but ice cold water.  Ever.' 

water stop


 The climb would probably have taken about thirty minutes and was steep but on nicely level steps carved and built out of the rock.  The view from the top was gorgeous, the whole of the Sunshine Coast laid out before us.  I didn't take many photos - I took a few selfies while waiting for N to recharge on the way up, and took one or two of the view, but mainly tried to enjoy it, and the more irked I became from the phone-use around me, the less I felt like capturing any of it!





Once we were finally able to pry N from her camera, we started back down.  About halfway M and I thought we should wait for the others, and awhile later we were on the verge of climbing back up to get them when they came into sight.  Apparently more photos had to be taken.  And why would you have to listen to loud music on an iPod when you have a perfectly good mountain beneath your feet?

coming down again, taken by M


After that, we went to the beach, after having found a parking SPACE a couple of streets away.  The water was gorgeously warm and being Autumn now it didn't feel like we were baking being out in the sun.  (Yes, lots of sunscreen, Mum). We went up to the rocks, and I sat looking out to sea, trying to ignore the photos.  

me ignoring photos, taken by N

And then it started getting late so we bought gelato and headed home.  Now it is just 2100 and I'm exhausted so it's bed time!

1 comment: