Sunday, June 3, 2018

June

I’ve got so much to say!  So much to share, and so little oomph to actually write a blog.

In case you wondered, yesterday we completed the type rating, and passed our check.  It went really well, better than I could’ve hoped for, and the examiner was really happy with us.  We do still have two company sims to go - tomorrow is our company instrument proficiency check, and Wednesday is a recurrent training day.

June started with some pretty big news, so that plus the check plus plenty of great mountains haven’t given me much brain space for anything like blogging.  Let me fill you in on some hikes!

Probably the most notable expedition the last couple of weeks was on Saturday.  We climbed the North West of Beerwah and I forgot how downright terrifying it was.  Well, I remembered how traumatising descending to Shell Rock was, but J assured us that we wouldn’t do that bit, and I was obviously so freaked out by it alone that I forgot all the other terrifying stretches on the mountain.


This was the part when I really doubted my sanity.  I am second from the bottom in grey.


We had plenty of time to sit and recover from the scary parts as one of our group had never climbed before so was taking longer.


This is an eroded arch that we went to see... without it, the climb wouldn’t have been quite so scary.


The top of the world

It was actually a really fun hike - it took four hours total - and I’m very glad I did it.  As for the terrifying parts, I think they were made even scarier by worrying about breaking a leg the day before my check!

Also last week, I had a relaxing climb up Tibro - relaxing because T was struggling so lots of breaks, so I took a few shots.


Here’s one with Beerwah and Coonowrin in the background.

It’s nice sometimes to be able to stop and stare rather than be dying galloping up the thing.


Also here is a cool shot of Beerwah from the NW face.


Also, here are Lily and me on another hike, this time on Tiberoowuccum, with Beerwah in the background.

This week looks to be pretty busy with ground training and sim checks, so I’m not sure how much I’ll get out.  Thursday night I’m hosting an Italian party at my house, so maybe Thursday morning a hike is due!  We shall see.

And on that note, I must get up and make coffee, or I shall be late for work!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing the course and for doing so well which I kind of knew that you would. That kind of near vertical climb looks real scary and I think I'll be satisfied with the Irish sort of mountains as in http://antonalyptic.blogspot.com/2018/06/three-peaks.html

    ReplyDelete