Saturday, September 2, 2017

Aussie Fathers' Day

In Aussie land, it is Fathers' Day, which means I'm going to talk about my dad.  It's hard to manage what day is what as I tend to forget which day is Irish Fathers' Day due to being out of the loop.  

Firstly, my dad is the best dad in the world.  That is unquestionable fact, and I dare you to argue.  He is also a little odd and decidedly eccentric.  He has taken up the no-shoes lifestyle with great enthusiasm - much to my mother's frustration, at times, and I find that whenever I read anything (in news or otherwise) about footware, I think about my dad.  For instance, my new company's procedures manual states that minimum dress code for passengers includes footwear.  Sorry, Dad.

There was also an article in the news over here about a guy who got stopped by the police in the airport because, lacking footware, he drew flip flops onto his feet with black pen.  Apparently it wasn't realistic enough.  It is assumed that flip flops are suitable clothing even though, in an emergency I suggest they could be more dangerous than bare feet.  Also, people with high heels are encouraged to take them off before evacuating: why not be barefoot in the first place?

Dad is also a lover of open space, a friend to the outdoors.  He loves to roam, alone, through the Irish countryside, or in fact in whatever countryside he finds himself, whether that be the Brisbane suburbs or the icy wilds of Alaska (also barefoot).  He has managed, so far, not to get frost bite in Alaska, but alas he did wear off a significant amount of his soles on the abrasive coral footpaths in Australia.  He didn't, however, get bitten by any snakes.  

This father of mine is also incredibly selfless and when not running around in the wild wearnjng very little in the way of clothing, is usually found working hard.  This could be on electronics - although he is moving away from Microlite now - or fixing things in the house, building, plumbing, electrical, or in fact whenever whatever needs to be done he makes himself available.  I can only hope that one day I am as willing and unafraid as he is.  Or perhaps he is not unafraid, but instead courageous in attempting all of these things that he fears.  

My dad also loves his family dearly.  On a recent trip to Ireland we were all in the same place for once - and despite the noise, which he hates - my father was so very happy.  So happy indeed that it was heart wrenching to have to leave at the end, knowing how sad he was so see us go.  Don't worry, Dad, I'll be back!  And of course, I love him so very much that it is hard to be so far away as well.  He visited me in Zurich for a weekend and it was the best.  We explored an alp and went on trains and walked and talked and <3 my heart could explode.  

Dad, I would never choose any other ever in the world.




2 comments:

  1. Must be the other dad you're talking about

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dad too and agree he is the best dad in the universe!

    ReplyDelete