Friday, September 1, 2017

Plastic

I shouldn't be allowed on the internet when I'm supposed to be studying.  I picked up my iPad yesterday to read the policy and procedures manual, only to be sidetracked by the Daily Mail - and subsequently to be sidetracked even more by researching zero waste and the dangers of plastic.

I have been converted.

That said, I realised this morning how much I rely on plastic.  My kitchen is full of it!  Every drawer has plastic utensils, Klip containers, cling film, plastic baggies - the list goes on.  The fridge is full of plastic bottles, the pantry full of food in gaudy plastic wrapping.  

"They" forecast (not the Daily Mail) that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the sea.

Start slow, don't go 0-100 in seconds, they say.  I've decided to start with a compost bin and using reusable shopping bags.  However, that's easier said than done.  Today I went in search of a compost bin - yep, they're all made of plastic.  I came home with two wooden pallets which I plan to fashion into a compost bin - hurrah for yet more reasons not to study!

Did you know that even tinned food has plastic?  Nowadays tins are actually lined with the stuff.

All my pans are non-stick - more plastic.

I'm not going to throw stuff away because it is plastic - that in itself only would increase plastic waste - but maybe I can do my bit by reducing how much I buy, at least to start off with.

And try not to go completely overboard...

2 comments:

  1. Hope you'll be going out to buy only wooden chopping boards soon: much more hygienic as well as better for the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair play to you for making an effort, but I think it won't sort the problem. If needs governments to outlaw stuff like the plastic bag tax but more. But what alternatives? I remember Smiths crisps were sold in grease proof paper bags: they became stale very quickly. Then they invented plastic bags and the crisps kept crisp. Do we go back to grease proof paper? Or maybe outlaw crisps - erk!

    ReplyDelete