Monday, October 22, 2012

Moths & Rivers

Apparently, according to BV, I was screaming like a girl.  The first thing I would like to point out is that I am, in fact, a girl.  The second thing is that I wasn't actually screaming, just generally making loud noises and shouts of "get it!" "kill it" and "don't let it come anywhere near me or we're going to crash". It being an extremely large moth - as in, as large as moths come, one of those proper moth-sized moths - that appeared on descent into Sydney, at around 7,000ft.

I don't particularly mind moths, in general.  I can quite happily co-exist with them, when it comes to wide open spaces, or even my house.  When, however, we're talking about a small boxed in space, when you are trying to focus on Something Else, moths aren't welcome.  BV half-heartedly attempted to catch said moth, receiving many (mostly helpful, in my opinion) suggestions from the right seat, and finally got it in his hand.

"Kill it!" I ordered, but for some unknown reason he declined, saying he didn't want to kill the "poor little moth", holding it in his hand saying "I don't know what to do with it" and then it escaped.

All flying-related duties immediately went out of the window.  Well, not literally, but you know what I mean.  We're flying into Sydney, pretty low level, and there's a prehistoric beast roaming around the flight deck.

"Look, it's stuck," said BV, pointing at the moth fluttering down by the air-conditioning vents.

"Not stuck enough," was my response, jamming the flight paperwork down upon it, at which stage it escaped for a second time.  "Put it in the comms hatch!!!"

BV changed his mind at that point, about killing the "poor little moth" and now there is a distinct moth-coloured stain in that particular aircraft.  You know how moths are sort of silvery and metallic, well, now the air-conditioning vents are silvery and metallic, and the moth itself is crammed down there somewhere... I hope moths don't start smelling when they decompose...

That was a very boring story about what I did this morning.

Now, I have a headache.  This is due to the fact that this afternoon I was doing something not quite so boring.  IMHO.  Wake-boarding, in a word.  The headache in particular is due to falling forwards off the board and hitting my face into the water at some considerable speed.  The pulled muscle in my arm is due to not hanging on tightly enough when the boat accelerated away, but all in all it was a successful experience!  I managed to stand up several times and even coast behind the boat for about 30 seconds on one occasion which was great fun - until I tried to turn, at which stage I bit the dust (water) again.

Then after everyone else had had a go with either the skis or the board, we anchored the boat and went for a swim.  We were in the river just inside of Redcliffe, so it was salty, not as salty as the sea but definitely not fresh.  It was pretty warm, too, which was nice.  There were 7 of us - 3 other Ozzie pilots and their girlfriends.  Happy days :)

I got a picture of the river but none of me wake-boarding, sorry!  I-phones don't do well with water, and I haven't bought a waterproof cover yet!

TTFN

PS Yes, I did write more about moths than wake-boarding, but I have a headache and I can't write any more.  So sorry.  Ha.


No comments:

Post a Comment