Saturday, March 30, 2013

As far as yesterday is concerned, all I can say is wow.  Talk about a life full of drama and suspense.  (No really, do.)

Yesterday, DK was hosting a BBQ, and invited me along.  The assigned time was "between 1 and 3" which, to me, is an awfully awkward time to be given.  Do I arrive at 1, and be the only person there?  Or do I arrive at 3, and find that all the food is eaten and die of starvation?  Or do I pick a random time between the two and hope that I'm relatively accurate...?  I chose the latter.

Being slightly less organised than I could be, I didn't actually leave the house to buy drinks to take with me, until after 1.  I then realised I hadn't taken a bag to put them in, and I couldn't really travel on the train with alcohol in full view, because it would probably be Frowned Upon.  This meant that I had to go back to the house to get my backpack, and I decided to still take my handbag just in case we decided to go out into town after the BBQ.

Usually, I only carry one bag.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

So I'm sitting on the train, about ten minutes into the journey, and I realise that I only have one bag.  Obviously the important one containing the supplies.  Which meant that I left my handbag on a bench in the train station.

Car keys.
House keys.
Driver's license.
Credit card.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I called my neighbour, who is now officially my hero, and explained my dilemma.  He rushed out of the house and down to the station (about a 2 minute drive) and believe it or not, my bag was still there !!!  It must have been at least 15 minutes from when I left the bench !

I stayed on the train while I waited to hear, having debated jumping off at the next stop and rushing back, but finally concluding that there wasn't really much point, as it would take far too long and even if my bag was gone, why shouldn't I continue to the BBQ?

Incredibly lucky that my phone wasn't in my bag - of course, my phone is pretty much glued to my hand 24/7, so I was able to call for backup.

Just sitting there thinking about the consequences of losing the stuff almost gave me a heart attack.  I mean, I didn't really care about the license and credit card.  The bank could easily have been called to cancel the card, and I could get a new license no problem.  But the keys !  My driver's license has my home address on it, and not only would the apartment lock have to be changed, but the whole block!  And I only have one set of car keys, so imagine the chaos caused by that loss !

(Actually, the first thing that went through my mind was that I would lose my little elephant keyring that I've had as long as I've had a license... but that's by the way.  Always priorities, with me.)

Thankfully, I was able to explain my sob story to an official at the Valley train station, and they let me out.  My "Go-Card" that I swiped on to the train was still back at my station, so I couldn't swipe out.  I then called DK and got a taxi to his house, which he then paid for, and I felt much better after I had fortified myself with the contents of my backpack !

What a day.  I'm still freaking out thinking about it !

Oh and, what is really funny is that my housemate thought I had lost the keys, although I did say that K had the bag, so she jammed a little plastic doorstop under the front door just in case someone decided to break in.  Of course, when I let myself in this morning (K left my keys in a 'secret place' for me) the plastic doorstop slid gracefully across the tiles...  I think she needs some lessons in Anti Burglar Devices!

AND, what I forgot to say, was that the BBQ was very good and it was great to see everyone together.

TTFN!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment