Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Townsville Adventures

I am ever so very tired.  I woke up this morning at 0300 feeling wide awake, and ended up doing my budget on my laptop for want of anything else to do.  Today is officially my day off, but it started in Townsville - again - and so far has involved a 10k hike including Castle Hill (yes, I was tired to start off with), a doctor appointment, and now paxing home.


I wasn't staying in the normal crew hotel, so it was a nice surprise to find out that breakfast was included.  After some eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and fresh fruit - and of course the inevitable coffee - I set off to find Castle Hill.




I was a little annoyed to find that they had closed the Goat Track for renovations.  They are putting in horrible man made stairs.  It always makes me sad when perfectly good trails are made artificial.



I entered at my own peril, but had to change route onto the main road half way due to the construction.  No sign of back burning.



Pano over the bay and magnetic island.  Dad, I can send you a full resolution picture.


It was a really hard climb, partly due to the few beers I had last night, partly due to lack of sleep and partly because it was almost 5k to the Goat Track in the first place!



Townsville Airport.



Me, just about alive - but barely.



Some other man made staircase that I did not go down as I ran out of time before my appointment.


I then descended via the main road as fast as I could - half running until the stitch got too bad (thanks, free breakfast) - and half walking.  I then got an Uber from the base and made it to my appointment, nice and hot and sweaty but on time.  (And then waited half an hour for the doctor). 9k total, plus the 1k walk from the doctor back to the hotel.  Not too shabby for a morning in Townsville.


The reason for the doctor was to check that I didn't damage my ears yesterday while flying.  We had a rapid descent due to various issues that I'm not going to go in to on the blog: if any one wants details, email me!  Everyone was fine, we just had to follow the process and get checked out, and now I'm paxing home to Brisbane, hopefully for days off!


I'm glad I got to see the view from Castle Hill though: maybe next time the Goat Track will be fully open.








2 comments:

  1. Yes pls to the hi res pics and was there any come back from your report?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like many tracks other than goat see https://thegotownsville.com.au/castle-hill/

    ReplyDelete