Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sydney Pt 1 : Taronga Zoo

On Saturday morning, I flew down to Sydney for the weekend.  After drinking copious amounts of coffee, it was time to go to the zoo.  I would like to introduce you to Taronga Zoo, or at least, to the photos that I have taken of it.  

Firstly we have a koala, doing what koalas do best.  There were three koalas in the enclosure, all curled up into tight little balls on dead sticks of trees.  In fact, when I say enclosure, it wasn't actually an enclosure.  There was a roof, presumably to keep off the sun, and one wall, along which ran a ledge from which you could watch the koalas - and after that, nothing really.  They were quite free to roam wherever they wanted to, but being koalas, they just slept.


Next, a komodo dragon, which did have a secure enclosure, thankfully!


Some sort of iguana.


This is a taipan.  Taipans are one of the most deadly snakes in the world, and although it doesn't look like it in the photo, I was separated from it by a glass wall.  Pretty awesome though.





Some sort of African rock sheep thing.  There were loads of them, all doing what sheep do best - ie pooping all over their enclosure, one after another.



The seal show was probably my favourite part of the show.  They were all very good and did loads of tricks but this is the only good (ish) picture that I got of any of it.


Wobblies!!  Wallabies, I mean.


Kangaroos - my first kangaroos seen in Australia, which everyone else here finds hard to believe.  Apparently they are really common and all over the place and have all been avoiding me on purpose, just to spite me.  They're like that, you know.


Finally, a funnel web spider, which was introduced to everyone watching the Spider Show.  It was about 2 or 3 inches long.  I didn't bother to stay to see any more spiders, not so much because I wasn't interested by the spiders, but more because I was going into cryogenic suspension and was afraid I wouldn't last much longer.



And that, my friends, was Taronga Zoo.  

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment