Sunday, December 29, 2013

I have finally gotten to the second and third day of our Tasmania trip.  Starting in reverse, as that's how the photos loaded, on day three, we went to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to see Tasmanian Devils.  They weren't very impressive, so I focused more on the kangaroos.  They give out little bags of kangaroo food (pellets just like sheep feed) so that you can feed the kangaroos by hand.  I really enjoyed giving food to the tiny joeys...

But I was a lot more hesitant about the larger animals, especially when I noticed more hopping up behind me, including the male top left of this next photo !

And decided that my kangaroo feeding days were over when one started grabbing at my hands with its sharp claws.  Yes, I officially prefer goats.

Koala, obviously

So moving right along (or back) to the previous day, we ended up going to see a cold little Tasmanian beach, which Sarah and Jon loved - Kurt and I were a little over the idea as we have much nicer beaches in Queensland...

We did however really enjoy climbing Mount Wellington.  I love the idea of a mountain that you can climb in a car, all 1271m of it.    It had interesting rock formations on it a lot like the Giants' Causeway, but we didn't go to explore as the terrain was very rough and we were unsure of snakes, etc.

Me, with this boy I found on the mountain:

Panoramic view of the mountainside and Hobart stretched out below - and of course, Sarah:


Our extremely chilly and windswept lunch of bread, prosciutto, olives and cheese.  Perhaps the shorts were a bad idea, boys?

Back in Hobart, at the docks, there were a couple of pretty boats/ships that we watched for awhile


And that was pretty much Hobart in a nutshell.  On the morning of the second day before going up Mount Wellington, we went to the Salamanca Markets, of which I have no photos.  They were really interesting, with lots of handmade woodwork, food, and other interesting items.  I bought a nice blackwood chopping board, and I think Sarah and Jon might have found a couple of items but I actually am not sure what !

It seems forever since we were in Tassy, and I'm sorry I haven't updated the blog more, but I've been a little bit incapacitated with a sore neck.  It has been difficult to sit up with a heavy laptop or type sufficiently lying down holding my iphone above my head.   Now I am on the mend, so here I am.

Unfortunately it was a fairly painful Christmas...  We all trooped up north to Bribie Island to have breakfast with Kurt's family, which was really nice.  Just in case Kurt is reading this, yes, I do like his parents, and it's a really nice house!  Unfortunately, the bacon punched me in the side of the head... well anyway I looked down at my plate and when I looked up again I think I trapped a nerve because all hell broke loose in my neck.  So that was really the end of my enjoying Christmas, and also probably the end of Kurt enjoying Christmas because he was worrying about me - thankfully, at his insistence, we had opened the presents before leaving Brisbane, so that was fun!

The next two days I spent lying down, and went to the physio on Friday, and have steadily been improving over the weekend.  Another physio session is tomorrow, and then hopefully I'll be all right.  Jon and Kurt have been the chauffeurs the last few days as apparently I am banned from driving, although I think I'll be fine now.  I'm also signed off work, so having spent Christmas which I actually had off, lying down, I should be able to actually enjoy the next few days with Jon and Sarah !

The problem is that the physio doesn't want me to do extended sitting, ie work, so has signed me off for almost a week, but I am now able to get out and do stuff (like putt putt) but I don't want it put on facebook in case someone at work gets upset at me!  Just a little bit complicated.

Anyway that's all for now, today we're just taking it easy, so nothing much to report.


No comments:

Post a Comment