Monday, July 23, 2012

Calamity!

Today has been interesting, in a sort of frustrating sort of way.  This morning I flew to Gladstone, and now I am waiting to hitch a lift to Canberra, where I will be spending the next two nights. The Gladstone part went really well - there and back, not a problem.  Then I tried to book in for my CBR leg, only to find that I didn't actually have a ticket.  After waiting around for 20 minutes or so, I decided to go for coffee.  This turned out to be a Really Bad Idea. Imagine, if you will, in your mind's eye, a picture of me walking aimlessly through the airport, overheating marvellously in the thick overcoat that I brought for the chill of Canberra.  In my left hand, pulling my overnight bag, hat under my arm, and over my right shoulder slung my flight bag.  One medium cappuccino, please.  Now walking to my table, cappucino clasped in my so-far-free right hand.  I stoop to place the cup on the table... and as I do so, the shoulder strap slips off my shoulder and bounces somewhat less than gracefully on my cup-holding wrist. The rest is history. Suffice it to say, I am now the proud owner of two beige-foam flecked bags, a similarly beige-foam flecked hat, boots somewhat encrusted with stickiness and beige streaks down my overcoat and trouser legs.  All in front of it appeared the entire airport.  All staring in silent admiration as I try very hard to be nonchalant as though nothing out of the ordinary has happened.  Gracefully tripping over one of the beige-flecked bags as I hasten to find serviettes... sending my hat spiralling onto the floor.   I would have taken pictures but it didn't seem appropriate. Having moved on from the coffee fiasco, and somewhat relieved that I was wearing the overcoat - it protected my coat - I go back to check in again.  Of course, this would be the day that the chief pilot has flown in from Perth and is standing in the middle of the terminal deep in conversation with a couple of pilots...  Think detour, think coat off slung over bag neatly folded... (the coat, not the bag) *sighs* now I am sitting at the gate, waiting for the flight, having finally checked in, only to find that there's not even a taxi booked at the other end to take me to the hotel.  Great, may I should have brought a sleeping bag?  Perhaps I could just use the beige-splattered overcoat.   I may even update this tonight - depends on whether anything else goes wrong!!! TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment