Saturday, July 7, 2012

We Make Fly

Today is the day that I officially become airborne!  I spent all of yesterday allegedly studying, but more realistically running around like a headless chicken trying to organise myself, fill my flight bag with everything under the sun that I might possibly need sometime in my future life, and iron my uniform multiple times.  This morning I am writing this blog to try to delay some of the headless chicken antics that I know are going to begin the sooner I get to departure time.

Over here, they take things very seriously.  A part of me says it would be extremely nice to wake up in my cozy little apartment in Swords, throw on my uniform, decide not to iron my shirt because it can just about be classified as cold enough to wear the potato sack sweater.  Look at my watch, panic because I have to report in 15 minutes, send a txt to say I'm running late, fall into the crew room, press "print", and there you have it.

Not so much, any more.  Things have changed.  The shirt feels like wearing a piece of cardboard, and every time you move, it reminds you that you are indeed wearing a piece of cardboard.  On the plus side, it is fitted, and no longer looks like I'm borrowing Dad's shirt.  I have to wear a name-tag and wings!  Mind you, I always used to have to wear a name-tag and wings, they just sort of got mislaid...

Australia seems to be about 20 years behind the rest of the world, where technology is concerned (and multiple other things).  You can no longer press "print" when you arrive in the crew room.  Well, you can, but it won't really get you very far.  Everything is manual like it used to be once upon a time back home.  How much fuel do you want to fly from A to B?  Who knows, let's add it up... 30+60+300+80+35+...blah blah blah.  Can't we just like, blag a bit?

Right, now that I've wasted 15 minutes of my valuable getting-ready-to-work allowance, which I shall call 80kg of fuel, I must see can I perfect my headless chicken routine... to go fly an airplane that I've been flying for the last 4 years.  What's the big deal ???

TTFN !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment