Monday, November 25, 2013



I would like to apologise profusely for my lack of blogging.

To start off with, here is a quick video of a storm we flew around a couple of days ago.  For all of you who have seen this clip before, on my facebook, sorry for the repetition!



The weather was completely insane, one minute we were having to track 30 miles west to avoid a cell, next minute we were heading out to sea, hoping to find some sort of gap where lightning wasn't going to strike.  (Yes, we made it unscathed)

This is a picture of a very very very dirty and dusty screen... apologies... but that's a cell, right over the airport.  the EMLEG is the initial approach fix and then the left turn tracks us in to the runway... and the magenta bit is where the runway is.


So we discontinued that, and hung a left to come in on the reciprocal runway.  Here is a photo taken of the approach to RWY06 with the storm heading away - there was lots of nice lightning coming out of the base of it too.


And here is another storm with a rainbow, on final approach into Brisbane.  The runway is somewhere to the left of the rainbow.


Dodgy green storm clouds.



Okay, I'm sure you'll all be glad to know that I'm all done posting storm stuff (for today).

Moving on, on Saturday I went to Burleigh Heads with Kurt, to the beach, and it was awesome.  I really really love it down there, the sea is so clear you can be in the water up to your neck and still see your feet clearly.  Of course, despite many applications of sunscreen, we both got horribly burnt (next time I'm going to use zinc).  We headed back to Brisbane mid afternoon to watch The Hunger Games : Catching Fire, with C & T, which was really good.

Obviously, the ending left a lot to be desired - as in, cliff hanger - but I expected that, as that is how the book ends.  I am not sure how they are going to make the third film, as I really disliked the third book with the plot twists and how they treat the main characters.

After the movie, we were going to go in to town for one of the other FO's birthday party, but the large quantities of sun, salt-water and sugar got to me and I wasn't very well for the rest of the evening.  However, I felt fine the next morning and went off to work to play in the storms.  Sorry, I forgot I wasn't going to post any more storm stuff (today).

This morning C announced that he had dug some more garden out down his end of the patch.  He also cleaned the entire house, waxed his car, and mowed the lawn.  I should mention, that he has also just departed to Singapore for the simulator, so he has spent the last couple of weeks freaking out about how much study he has had to do.  Obviously he has a similar study method to me - in other words, find any remote excuse of things that need to be done before actually studying... ha.

So, feeling jealous of his extra space ("Kate, don't you DARE put anything in the space that I just dug, I'm going to plant in it when I get back!  If you touch it I shall destroy whatever you plant!!!")  I dug my own.  I had to use a fork instead of a spade because up my end by the house, the ground is full of rubble as well as clay, and the spade was just getting stuck.

C seems to have a different method from me.  He digs up all of the clay (which is about 4 - 6 inches beneath the grass) and then chops it all into the soil.  I dig it up and discard it (and the rubble), leaving just the soft topsoil, and digging down to about 8 inches deep.  I then fill up the extra depth with compost, mixing it in with the topsoil.  It seems that whoever built the house simply levelled out all the rubble etc and planted grass on top.  Winning.

I think my method is why my garden grows so much better than C's.  Shh, don't tell him!

This afternoon, Kurt and I are heading out to buy a bed for his spare room.  Not much point having a spare room without a bed in it, is there?  And then we're going to Bunnings (he doesn't know this yet) so that I can buy yet more plants.

Oh and I dug up my cucumber and threw it away because it was annoying me by its only-female-flower extravaganza which meant that it wasn't producing any cucumbers.  Stupid thing.  The good news is that the courgettes produced by the two courgette plants have pretty much paid for the entire garden... in all the courgettes that I might have bought but probably wouldn't have...

TTFN!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment