Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Chocolate Fountain

My child decided to throw an all out rebellion tonight.  K was driving me mental winding Lily up, and I decided she needed a break.  "In your bed!" usually works wonders, and she pads across to her crate and crawls inside.  Not this time.  "In your bed!"  spoken ominously only caused her to look at me and walk away in the opposite direction.  "In your bed!"  made her run off behind the couch.  I looked at one end, she came out the other.  Finally I caught her and marched her off no nonsense to her crate.  She sat down dolefully, and I went back to the group, waited a minute and then let her out.  She came scampering over and I praised her.  Then I sent her back to her bed, and she trotted off obediently.  As soon as she sat down, I let her come back out.  Rebellion over.  It was quite funny.  She has never defied me like that before!

We had a chocolate fountain tonight.  S had mentioned it the other day, and I thought it was a great idea - and bought a couple of kilos of chocolate to put in it.  

 

The problem was that everyone wanted to give their opinion of how to melt the chocolate, and instead of just melting the chocolate, I actually listened to the three different opinions that were being thrown at me from all sides.  The loudest opinion was to poise the chocolate over boiling water, making sure the bowl didn't touch the water, and add cream to it before it melted, to make it somewhat of a ganache.  Personally, I thought cream should be added after the chocolate was melted, but who am I...?  I did what I was told.  The chocolate cooked and curdled into a revolting mess.  Thankfully we had only used two of the six family sized bars that I had bought!  The opinions kept coming.  I finally completely lost my patience and exploded at the people who were trying to be helpful, and melted the chocolate my own way.  (Which was in a bowl, over water, with no added anything).  K melted some of her own in the microwave, which also worked, and all was good.  It was a lot of chocolate.

 
We had bowls of mango, pineapple, kiwi, strawberry, banana, pretzels and marshmallows to dip in said chocolate fountain.  I preferred the strawberry, banana and marshmallows and pretty much ate my weight in them.  (And now I feel sick, I wonder why).  We then played Scattegories with lots of shouting as to which words were permitted and which were not.

And now, feeling quite sick, I am thinking of going to bed.  Maybe just resting the stomach a little, you know...



1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit curious about chocolate fountains having never studied one. How does the chocolate circulate? Do you have to keep topping it up? And I'm not sure about the end product - chocolate goes with caramel, that sort of thing, not sure about fresh fruit. Maybe someone needs to initiate me...

    ReplyDelete