Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Devon

I feel like I have so much to say and so little oomph with which to say it.  So many potential highlights to choose, and not sure whether to pick the Finding of the Red Hoodie, Lunch with Terry, or seeing Grandma again... 

We got up horrifically early to leave at 0345 but I am forever thankful as we made it to Lynholme by 0930 and the Ferry Crew were travelling from 0800-1700 or thereabouts.  No thank you!  Although I dislike being an aeroplane passenger I completely despise boats.  Also, Dublin Airport provided me with a perfect red hoodie which I have been searching for for months!

England let me down and rained all day but despite this, Terry managed to sneak 'his' Bonanza into Dunkeswell to meet me for lunch.  He did admit afterwards that if I had done the same he would have told me off... but all the same it was lovely to catch up.  He even managed to procure some company in the form of Brian and Tony, who I haven't seen in a very long time.  It was a pity not to have good enough weather to fly - but such is life in England - and in fact I think it made me want to fly more - outside of work that is.  Maybe it's my enforced grounded-ness these last few weeks that is making me nostalgic about flying.  Before I left Australia, I was wondering if I even liked aviation at all!  I did get to go up as a passenger over the Alps - which was amazing - but I also found it frustrating that I wasn't even close to the controls.

I have tried to persuade Terry that he needs to come to Australia for a visit, and now he needs to convince his wife that it's a good idea!  (I know you're reading this, Terry, so get on to it!)

It's hard to believe that Brian is in his 80s now (and yet still talking about setting up another flying school!) that means when I went to AFT ten years ago he was already in his 70s.  Wow.  Maybe I have a few more years of flying in me...  I don't like people getting older though, it makes life feel so temporary.  Especially when you're the one that gets left behind.

On that subject, Grandma is 92 now, and is ever so much frailer each time I see her.  She is so tiny and bird-like it is hard to remember 'back in the day' when she was younger.  I mean, I do, but I think I remember Grandpa more when he was younger as I've seen a lot more of Grandma since she's been old.  What is old, anyway?  I don't think I'm old - I don't feel old - but this is my last month of the 20s.  That in itself is annoying as I still get ID'd and in pictures everyone thinks I'm a teenager!  #airlinepilot mwuahaha.

I'm rambling.

You're welcome.

I'm not even drinking.  There are just sooooooooo many thoughts today.  I thought I had less staying power to write them all down, but I am more powerful than ever...  

I didn't take a single photograph of any of this.  I took a photo with Mum in Dublin Airport on the OCS special needs wagon.  Another first.  


Slightly embarrassing.  At least I got to wear the red hoodie.






No comments:

Post a Comment