Saturday, May 12, 2012

Knock Knock

Knock, Knock
Who's there?
Fire engine, come to put out the fire!!
(c) S.A.Giles

No - really!  Oaks on Felix is on fire.  Well, so the story goes.  It's not actually as interesting as all that, but it might grab your attention.  I got a phone call from one of the G's.

He said: "there's a fire and the fire alarm's going off and you need to get out of the building!!!!!!!!"

"Really?" I replied.  "There's no fire alarm going off in my apartment!"

"Well you stay and burn then, but I'm going to call J and let him know to get out!"

"COOL!" I said, realising that the sirens I had heard a few minutes previously were coming here.  I phoned reception, to see whether they had seen a fire.

"It's a false alarm on Floor 18" the woman said apologetically.

I called G back.  "It's a false alarm on Floor 18," I relayed.  "I phoned Reception."

"There was smoke on floor 18 when I left it!" he said.  "That's why I decided to get out and ring you guys - your choice if you decide to stay and burn!"

"Smoke?  Ok I'll go have a look," I decided.

I grabbed some shoes, and a coat, and my phone, just in case it WAS a fire - debated grabbing my Other Important Items but decided that Floor 18 was suitably far away for me to have time to come back and get them if necessary, and ran up the fire stairs.  Floor 18 was strangely devoid of smoke.  However, before committing to the Smoke-Less-Ness I decided a little exploring was in order.  Around a corner I heard a man talking on a radio.

"It's just cooking fumes!" He said in a strong Australian accent.

Apparently he was a fireman.

And that was the extent of my fire.  *sighs*  It could have been so much more interesting!!!  

And I'm obviously not Emergency Procedures trained yet.  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment